This meeting of the Community of Practice was focused on school connectedness and student success.
We heard from Bob Balfanz, director of the Everyone Graduates Center and research professor at Johns Hopkins School of Education, who shared research on the effects of the pandemic on school connectedness, and invited attendees to engage with others to surface expertise, strategies, and best practices.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): School Connectedness
- CDC Report: Mental Health, Suicidality, and Connectedness Among High School Students During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Institute of Education Sciences (IES): School Responses to COVID
- Scientific American: Who Created Maslow’s Iconic Pyramid?
- The Education Trust and MDRC: The Importance of Strong Relationships
- Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS): Secondary Student Attendance Survey
- Everyone Graduates Center, Johns Hopkins School of Education: Change Idea: Create Pro-Social Activities
- Everyone Graduates Center, Johns Hopkins School of Education: Change Idea: Build a Sense of Belonging and Engagement
- Everyone Graduates Center, Johns Hopkins School of Education: Change Idea: 1 to 1 Relationships
- NPSS: National Partnership for Student Success
- Susie Wise: Design for Belonging
- FutureEd: COVID Relief Playbook
- Education Week: What Teachers Say Is the Biggest Barrier to Learning Recovery